Nov 21, 2016

Build a wall...build a wall...a Foundation wall that is!



In the wake of a difficult political elections, I thought a moment of levity was needed (at least on my part).  So I thought I would start this post by chanting "BUILD A WALL!  BUILD A WALL!"  A foundation wall that is...

Process - So, how do you build a wall?  First, the crew installed forms, which are just hollow walls around where the foundation walls went.  I felt stupid because when I first came out, I thought these were the foundation walls.

**Disclaimer** My construction lingo leaves a lot to be desired, so please excuse any mistakes I make in this post :)




Then the coolest thing ever arrived!  I yelled "OMG, a CRANE!"  I was quickly told that this was not a crane, but rather a concrete pumper.  I still think it looks like a crane...


Concrete is pumped up through the arm of the crane-like pumper and flows down into the space between the forms.  This crew was working hard!






After the concrete cured, the forms were taken off, and VOILA!  Concrete foundation walls!


The large straps sticking up out of the foundation are locations where the garage doors and front doors are strapped to the foundation.  The other short pieces of rebar are locations where the framing is going to attach to the foundation.



Charlie approves!

Next, the crew installed the Impax foundation liner.  This is essentially a black rubber product that is sprayed on the foundation walls that have finished space either above or on the other side.  The goal is to make any water less likely to enter the foundation and more likely to just flow to the drain tiles and head outta Dodge!



From the looks of it, the crew has also been busy with some floor drains that run along the bottom of the basement walls and a sump pit pipe.  That sump pit will be cut down when the concrete basement floor is finished.  I just can't believe this is all happening so fast!!!



More excitement to come...stay tuned!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...