Nov 4, 2016

Evolution of Design - How 3D Rendering Helps Improve an Already Baller Design :)

The cost of getting the 3D renderings was definitely something what we really thought about, but in the end, it was such a great purchase.  Originally, we only considered having the exterior modeled, but then I got hooked, and so we paid to have several rooms on the interior modeled.

So this blog post will focus on certain aspects of the design that we tweaked, with our architect's insights and brainstorming.

Tweak #1 - Fireplace

First, let's talk fireplace!  I fell in love with a fireplace setup online that looked like this:


We were completely sold on having our TV over the fireplace to allow for the wall-of-windows concept.  I think we slightly disappointed to have a TV over the fireplace, for several reasons: (1) head strain on watching a TV that was higher up than normal, (2) losing a mantel, (3) limiting the TV size based on the width of the fireplace.  But we thought that the setup in the picture above would help give us "mantels".  With that in mind, the 3D rendering showed up like this:




Gorgeous, right?  I really did not think we would change it at all.  However, Tom (our architect's) reaction was not as positive.  He was particularly bothered by the ceiling connection to the fireplace and that it was not symmetrical.  His brilliant mind began redesigning the space.  He called and asked what our thoughts were with having a fireplace that was off-center (and hanging the TV on the wall to the left).  My immediate reaction was ICK!!!  No way.  He said that he was going to send me proposed renderings to see what he was thinking (knowing that it had a 1% chance of making me happy).  Here is what he sent:


My mouth dropped open.  Seriously, how could I actually love this as much as I do?  I never would have guessed that I would like an assymetrical design.  Matt pointed out that the fireplace itself was centered in the main room/foyer, which is why your eye doesn't hate it as much as it normally would.  This design also now frees up the mantel, allows us to place a much larger TV in the main room, and allows for a symmetrical ceiling/fireplace meeting.  What do you think?  WAY TO GO, TOM!!!







Tweak #2 - Catwalk walls

In the original design, we had wing walls along the catwalk (which made the catwalk opening narrower:


When I looked at it, I thought "Man that looks great."  But again, here is why you hire professionals.  Tom looked at it and thought "That needs adjustment."  His modern farmhouse design dictated a more open design.  Thus, the wing walls got eliminated and oh man do I love it more:


Tweak 3 - Mudroom light

One of the primary design elements I wanted was a tucked-away yet sizable mudroom.  With that in mind, the original mudroom 3D design looked like this:


We had already chose to add the cutout above the lockers to bring in some natural light from the stair tower.  My initial impression of the look was "well...that looks a bit prison-y."  Tom had the same thought and wanted to propose a different design.  Hold on to your hats...





Are you loving the new design as much as me?  Just moving those railing spindles horizontally vs. vertically eliminates that jailhouse feel.  And wow, such a functional mudroom.  We definitely are people that come in through the garage and drop a lot of stuff...keys, wallets, purses, mail, ear plugs, crap.... and while I would love to change our habits, 12 years into a marriage, that has not changed.  So let's design a house around us :)

These were the big changes.  Want to see all of the 3D renderings???

Stay tuned!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love Thrifty Decor Chic's fireplace too! Your house it looking great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...